Continuing the theme “studying makeup in New York”, today I present you another option for those who are looking for improvement in the area: Nina Mua Makeup Academy. I visited the school and talked to Nina herself. She is Russian and founded the school in New York in 2013. Nina has always had a passion for helping people feel different and special. A professional makeup artist and also a hair stylist, her team at Nina Mua Makeup Academy has five more teachers, all with extensive experience in the field.
The school is licensed by the New York State Education Department and has been operating for five years. The structure has two super spacious classrooms, in addition to the office and waiting room. There are 7 programs and one of the highlights of the school is that one of the programs is focused on hair.
- Master Makeup Artistry Program – If becoming a professional makeup artist has always been a dream of yours, you will want to join The Master Makeup Artistry Program. In this action-packed program, you will be fully equipped with all the in’s and out’s of the industry and gain the skills and tools you need to thrive as a freelance artist. This program is our complete makeup training program which consists of 100 in-class hours for 5 weeks. This course is designed to teach you all the fundamentals and techniques of makeup artistry while extending your training to the advanced level: Natural Beauty, Glamour Makeup, Bridal Makeup, Editorial & Video Makeup and Fashion Makeup. It includes three photo shoots and makeup kit. 4 days a week / 5 weeks. Price: $5.500. Click here and check out more details.
- Intensive 4-Week Makeup Program – The 4-week makeup program is designed for students who want to begin their career path as a make-up artist and learn the basics. We not only provide our students with business guidance but portfolio development as well. This program is also designed to answer and provide any information needed to explore if make-up artistry is right for you. Our instructors personally work with our beginner students to determine the suitable pace to ensure success. Contents: Introduction to Makeup Artistry & Foundations, Correction and basic correcting makeup, Basic smokey eye and contouring, full makeup application and lips, bridal makeup, mature skin makeup, tv/photo/video & creative makeup, photoshoot. Twice a week, 4 weeks. $1.800and includes makeup kit. Click here and check out more details.
- Extensive 5-Week Makeup Program – This is an extensive, hands-on course, consisting of 50 in-class hours. This course is designed to teach you all the fundamentals and techniques of makeup artistry, while extending your training to the advanced level. Twice a week, 5 weeks. Content includes: Introduction to Makeup Artistry & correcting makeup, smokey eye mastery & highlighting & contouring, glamour makeup application, colorful smokey eye application, bridal makeup & airbrush, mature skin & bridal advanced, period makeup looks, high fashion & catwalk, business, branding, tv/photo/video & creative makeup, photoshoot. $2.700 and includes makeup kit. Click here and check out more details.
- Advanced 2-week Makeup Program – This advanced program is designed for trained makeup artist looking to take their skills to the next level. This will prepare you for the competitive edge of the ever growing makeup industry by mastering the skills you will need to pursue your goals as a makeup artist. Twice a week, for two weeks and the contetn covers: Beauty makeup, Glamour makeup, Bridal makeup, Creative and Fashion makeup, Editorial & tv/photo/video makeup. $1000. Click here and check out more information.
- On this link, you can check out the classes year schedule.
I did not study at Nina Mua, but all the reviews on Google and Yelp are five stars. Important: the classes are all in ENGLISH.
I had the opportunity to meet Nina and she is a sweet person. And she also applied a makeup on me and gave me several tips! Worth check out the school website for more information.
Address: 545 8th Ave #1015.
Laura Peruchi is a Brazilian blogger, author, and entrepreneur. She has lived in Manhattan with her husband since 2014. Since then, she has shared on her blog varied content about the Big Apple. From travel tips, including unusual things to do, shopping tips, etiquette, restaurants, and a lot more, her blog has become a reference in Portuguese (also available in English) for anyone planning a trip to New York City.